About Me

I love to cook for my family and friends and would love to share my recipes with you. My husband has a wheat intolerance and I am always trying to come up with new recipes that we can all enjoy. If you have a chance to try them I would be delighted to hear how you get on.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Simple Delicious Quinoa Packed Lunch

I don't know about you but I think gluten free lunches (packed lunch or at home) are the hardest meal to cater for. For a lot of gluten free people there are various breads that you can buy but my husband can't have yeast either so this is not an option for us. I make his packed lunch for work every day and used to struggle to come up with different things for him to take that will be filling after he has been at work all morning and then to the gym. This week I am going to share a recipe with you that I do when I need to make an easy gluten free packed lunch.

Ingredients
60g Quinoa
Gluten free vegetable stock
Quarter of a teaspoon of cajun spice
2 eggs
4 cherry or baby plum tomatoes, washed and quartered
Fresh coriander (optional)

Method
Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions using the hot vegetable stock in place of plain water.
Drain thoroughly, allow to cool and transfer to a pot with a clip on lid. Mix in the cajun spice using a fork to fluff up the quinoa.
Meanwhile boil the eggs to your liking. I find that 6 minutes 30 seconds keeps the centre of the yolk soft. Immediately run the eggs under cold water to cool quickly, then peel the shells off and cut into quarters.
Gently mix the tomatoes and coriander into the quinoa with a fork. 
Put the eggs on the top, put on the lid and keep in the fridge until you are ready to go.
Don't forget to take a fork!!



2 comments:

  1. Quinoa is good, isnt it. Will try it with veg stock. A staple for us. I often add chopped chicken for a packed lunch(always keep some cooked and frozen for quick meals). Today we tried farinata for the first time, an Italian "flatbread" (no yeast) made from chickpea flour, water & oil, baked for about 20 mins. Doesn't sound much but was delicious. All the best for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pauline, great to hear from you. I agree quinoa is lovely to cook with, how did you find it with the stock? Thats a great idea for quick meals!
    Did you make the farinata yourself? I would love to give it a try if you wouldn't mind passing on the recipe please? It would be great to have a bread that Rob can eat!

    ReplyDelete