About Me

I love to cook for my family and friends and would love to share my recipes with you. My husband has a wheat intolerance and I am always trying to come up with new recipes that we can all enjoy. If you have a chance to try them I would be delighted to hear how you get on.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lemon and Sultana Cake

This recipe is a winner with everyone. It is light and fresh tasting, perfect to enjoy on a sunny day like today. This is a cake that I can easily and quickly make from store cupboard ingredients for last minute visitors and it freezes well - just wrap tightly in baking parchment and foil. 

Ingredients
100g/4oz Margarine
125g/5oz Caster Sugar
125g/5oz Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
2 large eggs
1 lemon - Juice and zest
100g/4oz Sultanas

Method
Preheat your oven to 170C Fan. 
Grease and line a 1lb (500g) loaf tin.
Cream together sugar, margarine and lemon zest. 
Beat in 1 egg then half the flour followed by the second egg, remaining flour and lemon juice. 
Gently stir in the sultanas.
Transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about 45 minutes. The cake should be springy to touch and a skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Cool in the tin for about ten minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. 

Alternatively you can simply put all the ingredients (except for the sultanas) in a bowl together and whisk with an electric whisk until fully combined, then stir in the sultanas. I find that the first method gives a lighter cake and is well worth the extra few minutes preparation. 

This converts well to make 8 muffins if you prefer . Just take about ten minutes off the cooking time. 

I would love to hear how you get on with this recipe. Hope you come back next week for the next recipe. 

8 comments:

  1. I would really recommend the lemon and sultana cakes. I made a batch for the church and they were gone in a jiffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so refreshing to find gluten free recipes that are easy to use and that taste better than cakes made with wheat, wow. I'm a mum and these have all been wonderful. All I can say is, Thanks Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments I am so pleased that you enjoyed them and have found the recipe easy to follow. Hope you find my next recipes as easy! Please keep me posted with how you get on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took these to supper and everyone wanted the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used this to make nine good-sized muffins today, just expanding the quantities a little and doubling the amount of sultanas! I was really impressed with the lightness and good flavour. Highly recommended. Also the recipe was very forgiving, as I didn't get everything in in the right order!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful, moist tasty gf cake. The best ever and made by hubby! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made really lovely muffins - recipe now a keeper

    ReplyDelete