About Me

I love to cook for my family and friends and would love to share my recipes with you. My husband has a wheat intolerance and I am always trying to come up with new recipes that we can all enjoy. If you have a chance to try them I would be delighted to hear how you get on.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Carrot Cake - my little boy's favourite!

This carrot cake recipe is easy to follow, freezes well and everyone loves it - especially my little boy who would happily eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner! It freezes well (un-iced) and keeps for a week or so if wrapped in foil. This carrot cake is at its best the day after you have made it and is best with a steaming hot mug of tea.

Ingredients
175ml/6fl oz Sunflower Oil
175g/6oz Light Muscovado Sugar
3 eggs
140g/5oz grated Carrots (about 3 or 4 average sized ones)
100g/4oz Sultanas
1 Orange, zest grated and juiced
175g/6oz Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
Half a tsp freshly grated nutmeg
175g/6oz Icing Sugar

Method

Preheat the oven to 160 fan.
Grease and line a 18cm square cake tin.
Use a wooden spoon to stir the oil, sugar and eggs together.
Next, stir in the carrots, sultanas, orange zest and 1tbsp orange juice (save the remaining for icing) then the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. The mixture will be quite runny compared to other cakes.
Tip the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Cool in the tin for half an hour then remove to a rack.

Once completely cooled, store it wrapped in foil until you are almost ready to serve it.
Transfer to a serving plate. Sift the icing sugar and mix in about 1-2tbsp of orange juice until the icing is of the desired consistency. I use one and a half tablespoons and it gives a spreadable thin icing but adding 2 tablespoons will be more of a drizzle.
Spread or drizzle onto the cake and store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!
  

3 comments:

  1. We had my parents over today and had this carrot cake from the freezer (again!) It was as delicious as always. I just took it out of the freezer in the morning, allowed it to defrost, iced and served with a cup of tea after a walk in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments David, I appreciate it and am very glad you are enjoying my recipes!

    ReplyDelete